What is a Novel?
To write a meaningful novel, you must understand first what the novel is. A novel is a long written story about imaginary people and events. There are two types of novels – commercial fiction and literary fiction.
A commercial fiction aims to entertain the readers. Commercial fiction is divided into many genres or categories such as mysteries, science fiction, fantasy, westerns, horror, thrillers, romance, and historical. A genre helps readers to find the perfect types of novels they like to read. For instance, readers who are fond of reading stories about solving a crime or doing detective work, they can go straight to the “Mystery” section of the bookstore.
- Mysteries – Mystery fiction is a genre of fiction usually involving a mysterious death or a crime to be solved.
- Science Fiction – is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as advanced science and technology, spaceflight, time travel, and extraterrestrial life.
- Fantasy – Fantasy is a genre of speculative fiction set in a fictional universe, often without any locations, events, or people referencing the real world.
- Westerns – It is a genre of novels and short stories, motion pictures, and television and radio show that are set in the American West, usually in the period from the 1850s to the end of the 19th
- Horror – Speculative fiction that can frighten, scare, disgust, or startle its readers by inducing feelings of horror and terror.
- Thriller – Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods the elicit, giving viewers heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation and anxiety.
- Romance – It is a type of fiction place their primary focus on the relationship and romantic love between two people, and must have an “emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending.”
- Historical – Historical fiction stories include historical details and include characters that fit into the period of the setting, whether or not they are real historical people.
Literary fiction is fiction that has value and merit in the social world. Literary fiction authors aim for art while commercial fiction aims entertainment. It is anything that does not fit into a genre.
Stages of Writing
Every writer has their writing process. You may have your preference when writing, but these are 5 steps that can help in your writing process.
Don’t plunge into writing immediately. Prewriting is the first step to reflect on the value and meaning of the finished product. Gather ideas by using your imagination. Your imagination is the way to find your source of inspiration. Use brainstorming or free writing. Freewriting means writing down all the ideas that pop up on your mind, just let the ideas flow. Once you’ve come up with an idea, plan how to organize them.
Now that you have your plan you can start writing. Don’t mind the word count, grammar, and spelling. Just relax and write what comes up to your mind. Write the story you’d most want to read. Don’t just write because you think it might be a best seller. Write where you think you’re good at. Think about the books you love. If you think you’re the romantic type, don’t try to write about mysteries or historical. It might make you bored and affect your ideas flowing. Write your heart out. It will help you write efficiently.
The average novel has 60,000 to 100,000 words. If you think your book doesn’t have enough words to be considered a novel and has not given the readers all the information they need to make sense of your story, you can now add. You can also rearrange the story. Consider the flow, pacing, and sequencing of the story. You may need to eliminate passages that don’t quite fit.
You are now done with your story. It’s time to check for repetition of words, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Editing is an extremely detailed process and sometimes, authors hire editors to proofread their book.
You have completed your manuscript and ready to publish. Once your book is published and if you plan to reach readers and sell books, then it’s time to educate yourself in marketing your book.
How to write a best seller
Every writer dreams of writing best seller books. Here are some tips on how to write a best seller book.
Write a good book. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? But it is very challenging. The first thing to consider is your book has to be unique. It has to be something that is not inspired by other stories but your original ideas. My advice is to write the story you’d most want to read. Know what kind of genre you are into. Write what interests you most. It’s like taking up a course in college. Why would you take up Business Management if you want to become an Engineer? Maybe you can continue studying business management, but your heart will never be happy with the result in the end.
Second is your book cover has to be unique and eye-catching. From my very own experience when I bought a book, I saw the cover with an image of a piggy bank so from the moment I saw the book I knew the content is all about how to save money. The other book has the cover of a couple, but the lady is crying. I knew the book was about romance but got thinking why is the lead lady crying? What happened to their love story? So I bought the book because it got me curious what happened in the end.
The third is by the good words of mouth. This is related to number 1—write a good book. If the readers liked your book, they will tell about it to their friends or even post it on social media and those friends will tell their friends.
The beginning of your story is critical. You have to get readers hooked at your story right from the start and end of the first chapter on a cliffhanger. Remember to keep the reader on the edge of their seat. Provide a shocking revelation or nail-biting moment, readers will have no choice to but continue with your story to find answers.
Resist the urge to over explain. Readers don’t enjoy feeling like someone is teaching them a lesson when they’re just expecting a good story.
Write a good plot because it is the main event of the story. Make it unique and engaging. The structure of the novel depends on the organization of events in the plot of the story.
After reading this article, I hope you learn something from it and use it to enhance your writing skills. You can also find a writing service, like RewardedEssays.com for example, to help you improve your skills.